What Does an AFUE Rating Mean?

What Does an AFUE Rating Mean?

The heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) industry is full of acronyms that many homeowners may not know or understand. While some are less important than others, it’s a good idea to know what a few of them mean before shopping for new HVAC equipment. AFUE is one such acronym that homeowners should know. AFUE, or Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency, determines how efficient a heating system is. The higher the AFUE, the more efficient the system is, meaning you’ll save more money on your monthly energy bills.

But what exactly is a good AFUE rating? The heating and cooling professionals at A Perfect Climate Heating & Cooling answer that question and more in their most recent blog.

What Is an AFUE?

An AFUE rating determines furnace efficiency by measuring the percentage of heat produced by a heating system for every dollar of fuel consumed. Furnaces with higher AFUE ratings use less fuel to heat your home, which will lower your monthly energy bills. Because heating bills can be so expensive, especially in colder climates such as Indianapolis, it’s important to purchase a unit with a good AFUE.

What’s a Good AFUE Rating?

The minimum AFUE rating for new furnaces sold is 80. That means your heating system converts 80% of the fuel that is consumed into making heat that is distributed into your home’s living areas. The remaining 20% is lost during the heating process.

Furnaces with AFUE ratings of 80-85% are considered mid-range efficiency, and units over 85% are considered high efficiency. In order to meet Energy Star Certification, though, natural gas furnaces must have a 90% AFUE or greater in the South and a 95% or greater AFUE in the North. Oil furnaces, meanwhile, must meet an AFUE rating of 85% or greater to earn Energy Star Certification.

How Much Money Can an Energy-Efficient Heating System Save You?

Upgrading to a high-efficiency heating system can save you a significant amount of money on your monthly energy bills. For example, let’s say you spend about $100 per month on heating during the winter. If your current furnace has an 80 AFUE rating and you upgrade to an Energy Star Certified model that is 95% efficient, you can save about $15 a month.

Upgrading your old furnace to a new high-efficiency unit will also provide more even, powerful heating and will reduce the chance of untimely breakdowns from occurring.

Financing Options for New Furnaces

At A Perfect Climate Heating & Cooling, we understand that the purchase of a new heating system or furnace is a big financial commitment, and many homeowners don’t have the money on hand to pay in full. That’s why A Perfect Climate Heating & Cooling has teamed up with Wells Fargo to offer special financing when you need to purchase a new system. If approved, you can make convenient monthly payments that fit around your budget.

Contact A Perfect Climate Heating & Cooling for Furnace Installation Services

If your current furnace is old and inefficient, it’s time to consider upgrading to a new furnace with a higher AFUE rating. The professional technicians at A Perfect Climate Heating & Cooling can help. Contact us today to schedule an appointment for furnace installation services.

See all articles →